Gadsden Goodyear plant lays off 53 workers | News
GADSDEN, AL (WBRC)- A sluggish economy is being blamed for Goodyear's decision to lay off its first workers at its Gadsden plant in 14 years.
The layoffs actually happened in November, but the company didn't confirm them until this week. Fifty-three people were laid off and another 48 positions were eliminated through attrition.
Last fall, the plant shut down temporarily. Company officials stress these were the first layoffs since 1999. That was when corporate officials decided to close the plant but later changed their minds.
Copyright 2013 WBRC. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- I-20 lanes reopen after tractor trailer fire in St. Clair County
- Vestavia Hills attorney arrested on theft charges after returning to U.S.
- Scholarship honors memory of St. Clair Co. teen killed in car wreck
- Lanes reopened after 18-wheeler turns over on I-20
- Pell City, Riverside consider Sunday alcohol sales