Gadsden family holding yard sale to cover medical expenses | News
GADSDEN, AL (WBRC)- A Gadsden family is planning a yard sale not to clean out unwanted items, but to help with expenses from their daughter's surgery.
Jakeyia Ragland, 17, has Crouzon syndrome and she's never been able to talk or eat a meal on her own. Her mother, Yolanda, is planning a yard sale at the family home on Maryland Avenue Saturday, August 18.
She's hoping that people can donate not only yard sale items but also food for a cookout.
Jakeyia's surgeries are covered by insurance but the family's lodging and other out of pocket expenses aren't. The two-part surgery will take place in Cincinnati.
"He's going to put a temporary tube in, and after he puts the temporary tube in, we'll have to make another trip back. So we'll also need, you know, gas and everything for going back for the second part of this surgery," Yolanda said.
If you would like to help the Ragland family, you can reach them at 256-492-2661. You may also make donations through a fund set up at the Regions Bank branch located at 1001 Piedmont Cut-ff, East Gadsden, 35903-2761.
Copyright 2012 WBRC. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- I-20 lanes reopen after tractor trailer fire in St. Clair County
- Vestavia Hills attorney arrested on theft charges after returning to U.S.
- Scholarship honors memory of St. Clair Co. teen killed in car wreck
- Lanes reopened after 18-wheeler turns over on I-20
- Pell City, Riverside consider Sunday alcohol sales